Thursday 6 October 2016

The book of Summers - Emylia Hall

For nine-year-old Beth Lowe, it should have been a magical summer-sun-kissed days lounging in rickety deck chairs, nights gathered around the fire. But what begins as an innocent vacation to Hungary ends with the devastating separation of her parents. Beth and her father return home alone, leaving her mother, Marika, behind. 

Over the next seven summers, Beth walks a tightrope between worlds, fleeing her quiet home and distant father to bask in the intoxicating Hungarian countryside with Marika. It is during these enthralling summers that Beth comes to life and learns to love. But at sixteen, she uncovers a life-shattering secret, bringing her sacred summers with Marika abruptly to an end.  

Now, years later, Beth receives a package containing a scrapbook, a haunting record of a time long forgotten. Suddenly, she is swept back to the world she left behind, forced to confront the betrayal that destroyed her-and to search her heart for forgiveness. 

 My thoughts:
This was a beautifully written book. It got me hooked with its language and style, and I could not put it down.

I want to say so many pretty things, but I am at a loss for words so... it was great prose. Done!

Beth gets a book from her mother in Hungary, and we learn what happened, why she stopped going there at 16. Each beautiful summer from 10 to 16 is told, and it makes it sounds like a magical happy place filled with sunshine and laughter.

But something went wrong, why does she still think about it 14 years afterwards? She was torn between the love of her father and their English home and those wonderful weeks every summer abroad. There is first love and well sunshine. It made me long for summer again.

Conclusion;
A wonderful book. I do recommend it.

Cover
Pretty


  • Paperback, 348 pages
  • Published May 29th 2012 by Mira 
  • Fiction
  • Library

34 comments:

  1. Ooh, this does sound good, and the cover is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm curious to see what happened that separated her parents. I can only imagine it to be a traumatizing experience, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cover just makes me happy:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would read this for the setting and the beautiful writing. I will look it up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That does sound like it would be a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes cover is beautiful and story sounds really good too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a pretty cover, and even prettier in rl

      Delete
  7. I do like the flowers on the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adding it between the setting and promise of beautiful prose I am in

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh i love beautifully written books, glad you enjoyed it

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds so good and gorgeous cover.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just love those books that remind me of summer!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooh, this sounds touching and kind of mysterious! It's been a while since I read something with really beautiful prose so I'm adding it to my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad you enjoyed... this is so NOT my cuppa tea!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is such a pretty cover and now I'm very curious about the mystery to the description! I might have to pick this one up.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP