Sunday 30 October 2016

Discussion: After you - Jojo Moyes

Happy end of October everyone! This week Carole and I are discussing, "After You" by Jojo Moyes. 
Author: Jojo Moyes
Title: After You (Me Before You #2)
Genre: Fiction and Romance
Pages: 353
First Published: September 2015
Where I Got It: My Shelf (Bought from Grocery store - totally on sale)


How do you move on after losing the person you loved? How do you build a life worth living?



Louisa Clark is no longer just an ordinary girl living an ordinary life. After the transformative six months spent with Will Traynor, she is struggling without him. When an extraordinary accident forces Lou to return home to her family, she can’t help but feel she’s right back where she started.



Her body heals, but Lou herself knows that she needs to be kick-started back to life. Which is how she ends up in a church basement with the members of the Moving On support group, who share insights, laughter, frustrations, and terrible cookies. They will also lead her to the strong, capable Sam Fielding—the paramedic, whose business is life and death, and the one man who might be able to understand her. Then a figure from Will’s past appears and hijacks all her plans, propelling her into a very different future...


For Lou Clark, life after Will Traynor means learning to fall in love again, with all the risks that brings.


**FOREWARNING - THERE MAYBE A COUPLE WEE SPOILERS ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE NOT READ THE FIRST ONE**



B: I need to rant first. See, someone was holding on to the English version and I had to borrow the Swedish translation. God! Blergh. Translation rant!

When you translate a book you can’t just directly translate things, well at least not in literature, and this book was badly done. Of course I could be wrong and the book itself could be really bad, but the thing here was language. First it sounded like a 80 year old tried to be cool, when everyone spoke! One word I yelled out to bf and he laughed, it sure was not a word anyone has used in ages. So many sentences and words made me cringe, and conversations that are totally normal should not make you cringe. One word I even had to check the definition of! I have never ever heard anyone use it in rl, tv, books, never! There were other normal definitions of that word that people would use 100% of the time. I mean honestly!

But that was not all. All conversations sounded like the same person spoke. The language was stilted, the nuances lost. I am not saying I am a translator (sure I did take classes in uni, but not in literary translation). But I know literature, I have read amazing English books translated from other languages, books whose language sang. Here it was grey and lifeless. The whole book lost its meaning cos all I thought of was the language. And that is why as soon as I knew enough English I started to read in English. Because I have read too many books like this. Especially fantasy books, those all sounded like they were made for 10 year olds. I could write pages about this, but let’s talk about the story and see what Carole thought. It might just be that the book sucked ass.

C: Holy rant! I’m sorry the translation sucked!!! But the story wasn’t too bad. It was a little rough at the beginning...it felt like the author hadn’t written in a while and was getting back on her feet. But after a while she found her baring and I was hooked.

B: Oh, I was never hooked :/ I just could not get over the language and nitpicked everything. I would def have dnfed this stupid translation, but read it to the end.

C: Oh no! I thought the story was decent. Nothing compared to the first one, but it was interesting. I’m really upset about the road Lou took. Sure...nothing is ever perfect, but she really fell off the wagon of what Will wanted for her. :(


B: The feel of the movie was gone for me, here I just wondered how she could have been in love that fast. Also she really went, not crazy, but honestly girl! You effed up your life. Bohoo, you are sad, but think of Will! She was a mess.
C: Yes and that pissed me off. AT the end of the last book she was happy and ready to take the world by storm in honor of Will. But no - this was annoying. I wanted to punch her. I felt like everything was stripped away and she was nothing. The character was destroyed….she didn’t wear her funky outfits until near the end. Ugh...and I hated Lily. Like - the character was okay - but I freakin’ hated her role in the story and who she was to Will. Like...why? Ugh.

B: It felt like the author wanted some easy cash and wrote a book and just made her sad again so she would have a book. And yes Lily felt unnecessary. Also if her mother had told her, why not check them out sooner, why on earth go for Lou? Also Lou, you are not a social worker, that kid needed help.

C: Completely agree. I think it would have been more entertaining if the author kept Lou happy and then Lily came out of nowhere. However, I did like the story with Sam. Sam was a sweetie.


B: Sam was ok, I did not feel any sparks, but hey that could have been the translation and everyone having the same voice
C: Maybe, but I didn’t feel any sparks for the vast majority of the book, because Lou was sooooooooooooo miserable all of the time. Why would Sam stay? She treated him like dirt! I felt so bad. He was legit so nice to her and did all that for her. But Lou is still obsessed with Will (which whatever) and how could Sam want to stay? I just don’t get and I don’t think it’s realistic at all. The vast majority of this book was not realistic and it frustrated me. However, I was hooked, because it was like a car accident….you can’t help but move forward and watch in curiosity!

B: Lol, well those wrecks are fun to watch, and maybe I could have felt like that too. Sigh. But yes, honestly Sam, you should have run way. Also I so did not get the end….oh and the whole Lily thing, you know, the thing, helllo! Call real people, if you get what I mean



C: Oh! Don’t forget the slutty red-head secretary that Will’s dad left the mom for. Big check there. This was SUCH a soap opera. I feel it really went off track from the first one. This...was a wreck.
B: LOL yeah. No...the whole Lily thing should have been dealt with differently. Her mom and stepdad should have child services called on them, because they are TERRIBLE parents. The mom was a total beeeee-word. With that parenting style and the way they treated her, DUH she was going to grow up to be a mess and want nothing to do with them.
B: What else could we talk about, hmmm, miserable Lou, strange Lily, not coping and moving on. Check. Bad parents, check. Nice guy being all nice, check…


B: I hope they do not make a movie. What a depressing mess that would be.

C: 100% agree. If they do make it, I’ll probably watch it because I am one for self-torture. I think we should put a “possible spoiler” at the beginning ;) I’m so bummed that this not nearly as good as the first one. That one was awesome, this? Wreck.



B: I do not even know how to rate it, dang, I wish I had read it in English :/
C: I think the story would’ve been better in English and the characters’ convos better, but the whole plot and layout would not have changed I think.
B: Thanks, but no thanks, I do not want to take the risk.
B: True, but at least I could have enjoyed the story, and thought if it as a train wreck then ;) C: Hahaha, maybe track down an English version or I can send you mine because I will not be re-reading it. xD C: Alriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight whatever you say ;). Anything you want to add??
C: May the Book Gods be with you!
B: I am good, translations suck! ;) Whose turn next? C: Yours? IDK honestly. LOL XD B: Omg, I will TRY AND PICK SOMETHING GOOD!




25 comments:

  1. I thought it was a worthy sequel. The audiobook was good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. eww sorry the translation was bad, I never read a translated book before o.o

    ReplyDelete
  3. I listened to book one, and haven't reached the point where i am ready for more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That stinks about the translation. I've read a couple books that weren't translated to English very well and made for a bit of an awkward read. I enjoyed the 1st book, but doubt I'll read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did hear some nice things about it and was curious about the movie adaptation. As always it was a pleasure to read your co-review though, especially since you both have such different views on this particular book.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, you are welcome :) I do enjoy these

      Delete
  6. It's unfortunate that the translation was terrible. The concept was interesting though. As a chronic pain patient, I feel like I might relate to the baser ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One day I'll ghave to try the first one or at last to try the movie

    ReplyDelete
  8. That really sucks about the translation. It's why more often than not I'm unlikely to pick a translation.
    I don't think these books are for me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh dear but worth a read in English if ever! I liked it but thought it took awhile for her to get it together and she had seemed so together in You Before Me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bah. This was a waste of my time, tbh. No Will? How can there be a sequel when there's no Will? *sobs*

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't read the first yet but I know what happens - this follow up sounds awful

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh my word on the translation issues. Nope! these I never felt like reading.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP