Tuesday 11 October 2016

Anthology: Teeth long and sharp

A collection of tales sharp and pointed.

IVORIES by Aria M. Jones - Eleanor resents the afternoons sacrificed to piano lessons and a disagreeable teacher who gloats over her failures and humiliations. Today, it’s Mrs. Lundemann’s turn for a sacrifice of a very different nature…

NIGHT TIDE by Grace Draven - Something hunts the surf at night, luring villagers to their deaths with a lullaby of sorrow and the torture of nightmares. Blessed with the gift of water-sight, Zigana Imre senses the presence of an ancient predator possessing a taste for human flesh sweetened by grief. With the help of a child of earth, she will battle a spawn of the sea to protect a loved one and save a man who will one day save a world. 

THE NOISE OF FUR by Jeffe Kennedy - The first time, it came at night…

In the forest, a Thing prowls, picking off members of young Raven’s tribe. If they flee their home, they face starvation. If only Raven can answer the question of what kind of fur makes that noise.

VENETRIX by Antioch Grey - A merchant and a poet come to the City, seeking justice for the murder of a relative, and if justice cannot be found, they will have revenge. They collude with vampires, negotiate with mermaids, share ale and meat pies with gargoyles and navigate the prisons, waterways and court system of a city ruled by a Master possessing long life and even longer teeth.

The City will make you a fortune, or it will kill you, but it will always change you.

THE VAMPIRES OF MULBERRY STREET by Aria M. Jones - Living the simple life in small town Indiana, Mrs. H has everything she could possibly ever want: a cozy house, peace and quiet, and a garden that is the envy of Mulberry Street. But when sinister outsiders disrupt the tranquility of her neighborhood, it might be time for her to come out of retirement and take up tools more deadly than pruning shears and a trowel.

VOICE OF THE KNIFE by Mel Sterling - Biologist Charles Napier doesn’t mind getting lost in a Florida swamp—it’s part of a scientist’s job. Logic and training will get him out safely. Except lurking in this swamp, there’s a monster Napier’s science can’t explain...a lonely, exquisite, desperate monster.

My thoughts:
This anthology has a couple of novellas in it. Scary? Not really. Just you know, stories. With some creepy paranormal vibes.

IVORIES by Aria M. Jones
A kid hates playing the piano. And something strange will happen during the lesson. To be honest I am still not sure what happened. I must have missed something.

NIGHT TIDE by Grace Draven 
I liked this one. Something is out there in the water, our heroine has water sight or what it was called, and something needs to be done. We also learn about her village and family. But there was one thing that rubbed me the wrong way, certain feelings she had. It just made me dislike her at the end.

THE NOISE OF FUR by Jeffe Kennedy - The first time, it came at night…
There is something hunting in the forest killing. What is it? 
I was reading and noticed 3 names that means Raven in other languages, so I checked, and yes it was a theme. I liked that, very cool. Nice twist too.

VENETRIX by Antioch Grey 
It has promise, but it went on too long. Which is a weird thing saying about a novella. I just wish they had cut to the chase. But the world was interesting and it would be a good fantasy novel.

THE VAMPIRES OF MULBERRY STREET by Aria M. Jones - 
This one was a bit, what is happening? The whole X thing came around so what? Anyway vampires, a nice old lady next doors. What will happen?

VOICE OF THE KNIFE by Mel Sterling - 
This one had a really slow beginning, but then it picked up as the guy goes further into the swamps, and there is something there...there it did get interesting.

So yes, not scary. Just paranormal stuff with no happy endings. Bad things will happen, bad things are out there and want blood. Some good, some got better. As always then.

Interesting stories .


Kindle Edition 276
Published October 4th 2016
Paranormal, fantasy
For an honest review

38 comments:

  1. I'm glad these aren't scary, I'm not good with scary!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the sound of the Jeffe Kennedy story - names with symbolism always intrigue me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love creepy paranormal type books and stories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thought I don't like novellas I don't mind short stories like these, I wish they were a bit more creepy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are good in that way, but yes more creepy could have been cool

      Delete
  5. As usual sounds like it is a mixed bag. It still sounds interesting though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not a fan of novellas. Maybe the one about vamps and old ladies would be good. Maybe...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really want to read this anthology!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Laughing when I read you must have missed what happened in the piano story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe it was like when I was listening to an audio book and was sooo sure I had not fallen asleep and...missed 10 min

      Delete
  9. Glad you were able to find enjoyable ones out of the bunch :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have yet to come across a anthology were all were bad *fingers crossed for it never happening*

      Delete
  10. Looks like most of the stories were good, but a couple left you scratching your head... Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That could have been the point too, I guess

      Delete
  11. I'm not big on anthologies in the first place, but if it's a good theme, maybe. This looks like vamps and weres? Hmm, it's not really calling to me, but there are some authors on there I'm really curious about though.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything is not what it seems...no weres here

      Delete
  12. Yay for some good ones in there. I can handle creepy not scary.

    ReplyDelete
  13. ah yes I saw this one but didn't read it

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't have good luck with anthologies but I'd prefer creepy over scary :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hmm, this sounds interesting and I like that it is paranormal with bad things but not overall horror.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm happy for these authors - what a fun anthology... just not my cup of tea. I say horror, even though you say paranormal! haha

    ReplyDelete
  17. I had seen this one and was curious about it. Sounds like something I might enjoy. :)

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP