Wednesday 12 October 2016

A gentleman undone - Cecilia Grant

Lydia Slaughter understands the games men play—both in and out of the bedroom. Not afraid to bend the rules to suit her needs, she fleeces Will Blackshear outright. The Waterloo hero had his own daring agenda for the gaming tables of London’s gentlemen’s clubs. But now he antes up for a wager of wits and desire with Lydia, the streetwise temptress who keeps him at arm’s length.

A kept woman in desperate straits, Lydia has a sharp mind and a head for numbers. She gambles on the sly, hoping to win enough to claim her independence. An alliance with Will at the tables may be a winning proposition for them both. But the arrangement involves dicey odds with rising stakes, sweetened with unspoken promise of fleshly delights. And any sleight of hand could find their hearts betting on something neither can afford to risk: love.

My thoughts:
So this was one of those where a courtesan gets to marry a nobleman, and we all know that in the end no one will give a f.

Lydia is a courtesan. Her protector is young, handsome, but she does want to be on her own. Maybe she could gamble and earn some money...duh, yes she will. She is also wicked smart when it comes to numbers.

Will fought at Waterloo, sold his commission and now he just wants to earn money to save a widow. I mean I got you lost one of your men, but I am pretty sure more died and also left widows behind. But fine, help that one.

They meet, they find that might be able to help each other. And he will fall for her, and she, well I never really felt her part. To be honest, it just felt like she understood he was a better catch and went for it. I am not a romantic today it seems. But hey, that does not mean she can fancy him still, and understand that he will give her a better life.

Conclusion:
Lots of gambling. Some passion and drama´.

Mass Market Paperback, 350 pages
Published May 29th 2012 by Bantam
Blackshear Family #2
Historical romance
Own

30 comments:

  1. Hm. Sounds like the connection is a little bit one-sided which is disappointing, but I like that she's good with numbers! I very definitely am not:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Probably not my kind of book but it's an interesting story line.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read all that many with courtesans lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw too bad. I was hoping for more especially her being wicked smart. Doesn't sound terribly romantic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure others would think romance but I am jaded

      Delete
  5. I don't think this one is for me. I am so frustrated by romance with lots of drama.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would not say a lot of drama, they meet behind her protector's back, and then drama at the end, like in every HR book there is

      Delete
  6. lol @ no one will give an f in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not really my thing, but a nice cover :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmm. She seems to be just going with the flow. Not much of chemistry, then?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She liked him, but it just felt like he was a means to an end

      Delete
  9. Probably not for me. Sounds a little too generic. Thanks for the info, though!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can we just take a moment to swoon at the guy in the cover! Sounds sexy! :D
    Haniya
    booknauthors.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I, of course, like the purple on the cover. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Help the one in front of you! Pity you didn't quite fall for her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not that I did not like her, she went for the right guy, logical

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP