Sunday 25 September 2016

Author post: Phaedra Patrick



Today I have Phaedra Patrick over for a post :) I read the book a few months ago and really enjoyed it.
Welcome!


‘My Inspiration’ 
As I showed my own childhood charm bracelet to my son, and  told him the stories behind each of the charms, the idea came to me about an elderly man who discovers a mysterious bracelet in his late wife’s wardrobe. I wanted to write a story straight from my heart, and create a character that people would want to cheer, laugh and cry with. I love to collect ideas in my head, so each scene and character in the book was influenced by someone I know, something I’d seen, or personally experienced. 

I once holidayed in India and bought a small brass elephant pendant, and this was the inspiration behind the first charm that sets Arthur off on his epic journey of discovery. 

I knew I wanted a tiger in my novel and I loved the idea of a lord and lady who live in a crumbling manor house with their tigers prowling around the grounds. I really enjoyed writing a scene where Arthur is accosted by a ravenous tiger in his attempt to find out the story behind the tiger charm on the bracelet.

I wrote the book at a time when I’d had five previous novels rejected, and also after losing a close friend and a family member. I ploughed on with The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper whilst thinking about how life is for celebrating and living. So whilst Arthur’s journey is sometimes sad, it’s also poignant, funny and uplifting.

Thank you!

THE CURIOUS CHARMS OF ARTHUR PEPPER
BY PHAEDRA PATRICK
(HQ, £7.99, 22nd September)

40 years of marriage, 8 golden charms 
One man’s journey of self-discovery 


On the first anniversary of his beloved wife Miriam’s death, Arthur steels himself to tackle the task he’s been dreading: clearing out her wardrobe. There, hidden in a shoebox, he finds a glistening gold charm bracelet that he has never seen before. Upon examination Arthur finds a telephone number on the underside of a gold elephant charm. Uncharacteristically he picks up the phone. 

And so begins Arthur’s quest – charm by charm, from York to Paris and London and even India – as he seeks to uncover Miriam’s secret life before they were married. And along the way, find out more about himself. 

The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper is a joyous celebration of life's infinite possibilities, heralding the arrival of a major new talent in Phaedra Patrick. Phaedra Patrick studied art and marketing and has worked as a stained glass artist, film festival organiser and communications manager. She was inspired to write Arthur Pepper’s story by the memories of her own charm bracelet. Phaedra lives near Manchester with her husband and son. 

10 comments:

  1. I love where the inspiration came from. Thanks so much for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an interesting idea for a story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. It's on my TBR list. And now I want to find my charm bracelet from when I was a teen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh how fun, its always something special when authors draw on their own experience that is meaningful to them

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's a tiger in this? Score! Love this story about the ideas behind the book.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoy learning where authors get their ideas from.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP